Short Survey on PRT

We’ve created a quick survey to get renters views about the new private residential tenancy agreement one year on.

It would be great if you can share your views. It should only take a few minutes to complete:

James

the main problem is that the new tenancy agreement only applies to new tenancies. I am stuck on an old SAT. This is likely to be the case for very many people.
Diane.

Hi DianeA, you are right that we will still have many renters on the old tenancy agreements. We will be looking at a number of different aspects of renting over the coming months. There were a number of changes that came in with the new agreement and so we were keen to see how aware tenants (& prospective tenants) are of how these changes might affect them one year on. From my own experience it seems that some renters don’t know that they have the new tenancy and if they do - what it means for them. It would still be good to know what your awareness of the newer tenancy is even if you don’t currently have one. Please feel free to complete the survey if you wish. Also if there are issues/areas you wish to discuss that are unrelated to the PRT then please post as i’m sure there are others who will want to discuss those issues too. Thanks J

“The tenant can end the tenancy with 28 days’ notice”

Yeah. Tragically so can the landlord if you’ve lived there less than six months. Why is that not one of your bullets?

Initial periods should have been kept for tenants - and even made longer; literally prohibiting certain grounds (namely, the no fault ones) from being used until e.g 12 or 24 months have passed. As it is campaigners insisted they go - on both sides, meaning landlords can literally evict you days after moving in if they want. Another travesty.

Hi, I have attached some of the results from our short survey below:

Private Residential Tenancy Agreement Survey Results

Note: I have removed the responses from those who answered no to the first question so that the results are based only on private renters. (but includes all private rented tenancy types)

Additional Feedback:

Some raised concerns about the ability of landlords to recover property using Ground 1 (Intention to sell property)

Several felt that the new terms of contract are set out in a far clearer way for a tenant to understand

It was suggested that it may be more difficult for a private renter to access social housing as a PRT does not offer the ability to bring the tenancy to an end without the landlord providing a grounds/reason.

It was argued that the new tenancy doesn’t benefit tenants who have an older tenancy type as there is no plan to migrate existing tenants to the new PRT. This was picked up by another tenant who felt the new agreement was much better than her previous short assured tenancy

Another agreed that the new PRT is beneficial to tenants but only if tenants are aware of rights and action they can take to protect rights.

Additionally it was felt that there was still potential to take advantage of some less informed groups such as international students and more vulnerable tenants.

Some noted that based on tenancy start date and other information they should have been issued a PRT but had not been made aware of this by their landlord or agent.

Some who replied had not known about the new tenancy at all

Others felt that Landlords and Letting Agents should be doing much more to make tenants aware of their rights under the new agreement.

Overall, I personally think that these results show there is still more work to be done to improve awareness of the PRT. It was good to hear that the majority of those who took part feel that the PRT offers a clearer, more secure tenancy and would be confident in taking action if necessary to enforce their rights.

What do you think of these results?

It would be good to hear your thoughts?