Private landlord Scotland issues


Hi there,

So in November I’ve rented a 1 bedroom flat in Scotland, Dundee. My landlady it’s a private landlord.
So she done the flat very cheap and I’m unhappy with few things:

  • she bought a very cheap electric cooker hood, and she had a guy to fix it in the wall, the guy was useless, and when my husband tried to switch it on he got electrocuted. She sort it out with a electric company after 4 weeks.
  • I think she forged the epc and the gas certificates, as I’m paying 600 pounds for 3 months and the heating it’s on few hours during the day, the radiators are old and so it’s the central heating, but her brother in law done the gas certificate and he is a bit dodgy.
    -the front door was a 30 pounds door from eBay, she is refusing to isolate the door, she decided to put silicone
  • she will come whenever she wants, switch off my radiators, enter in any room she wants doesn’t matter if we are inside, she will never tell me who is coming or for how long.
    -she told me I I’m not happy to find another place she won’t do anything and because I’m a foreigner I should be happy she gave me a house to rent and consider myself lucky, due to the fact I need references I can’t confront her and I don’t even know what to do.
  • I want to check the epc and the gas certificate to have some proof but dunno where to start and how to proceed…

Any advice will be helpful. Thank you.


Hi Missice,

I’m sorry to hear of your experiences so far.

1.The landlord should be registered if renting out property (We can check this here: They should also have given you paperwork - a tenancy agreement and a number of certificates.
2.You should have been given a “valid” electrical safety certificate when you moved in to confirm that fittings, fixtures & appliances are working and safe to use. If not the landlord is in breach of the law. This should be completed by a NICEIC registered contractor. If in doubt contact our helpdesk. Gas faults in particular can be catastrophic and so if in doubt I would contact the environmental health dept. of your local council.
3. Repairing Standard means that property must be “wind and watertight” and so may be able to raise a case with tribunal on the basis it is not wind tight.
4.Law is clear that although landlord is allowed reasonable access for inspection/repairs so long as correct notice(48hrs in your case) is given - they cannot access without your consent and would have to apply to tribunal for access if you refuse. (The actions described may constitute harassment if it can be shown that it is designed to get you to move out - and this in itself is a criminal offence.
5. I’d start by having a chat with our helpdesk in confidence so that we can take a look at your safety certificates and discuss next steps (Open 9am to 5pm, Mon to Fri on 0808 800 4444)

Please let me know how you get on :